From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: /lib32/* missing after system upgrade
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 09:22:06
1 "Ryan Sims" <rwsims@×××××.com> posted
2 64e8d2f20701091515i6fc1b696o6ae8ad6140593b9f@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Tue, 09 Jan 2007 18:15:50 -0500:
4
5 > On 1/9/07, Harm Geerts <harmgeerts@××××.nl> wrote:
6 >> On Tuesday 09 January 2007 17:20, Ryan Sims wrote:
7 >> > On 1/9/07, Piotr Jaroszyński <peper@g.o> wrote:
8 >> > > On Tuesday 09 January 2007 16:27, Einar S. Idsø wrote:
9 >> > > > Some further info: I just remembered that I also changed the
10 >> > > > symlink for /etc/make.profile. For some reason I changed it to
11 >> > > > point to /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2006.0, which
12 >> > > > doesn't seem right... I suppose I should rather have used
13 >> > > > /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/amd64/2006.1/(desktop|server)?
14 >> > > >
15 >> > > > Did I just stupidly break my system?
16 >> > >
17 >> > > You have switched to non-multilib profile... Switch it back asap and
18 >> > > reemerge whatever you emerged on invalid profile.
19 >> >
20 >> > Is that possible?
21 >> >
22 >> > from http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-amd64-faq.xml#multilib :
23 >> > "Currently you cannot switch from a no-multilib to a multilib-enabled
24 >> > profile, so think over your decision twice before you use the
25 >> > no-multilib profile."
26 >>
27 >> The reason it's not possible is because it breaks the system. portage
28 >> does not prevent you from changing to an incompatible profile.
29 >
30 > Understood, I was thinking of "Switch it back asap and reemerge" as
31 > impossible. I have a deep respect for portage, but I absolutely do not
32 > expect it to protect me from myself ;)
33
34 In theory, the only big damage is likely to be the toolchain,
35 glibc/gcc/binutils/sandbox. Of course, with those damaged, getting stuff
36 working again is going to be "interesting" to say the least. However, one
37 should be able to recover by resetting the profile correctly, then using
38 quickpkg on the toolchain packages out of an amd64 stage-X install, and
39 merging those binary packages directly over the fubar-ed system. That
40 should recover a working toolchain, after which one would of course emerge
41 --emptytree --deep --update world, to finish the recovery.
42
43 If you've been running FEATURES=buildpkg for some time before the screwup,
44 and caught the problem early enough (or you can use another amd64 machine
45 as here), you can remerge anything that wasn't merged on the bad profile
46 (thus overwriting the last good binpkgs) from the binpkgs.
51 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
54 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list