From: Ronan Klyne <rklyne@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] upgrade to 939 ~fx60 | am2 ~x2 5000+
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 17:54:34
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Also, due to AMD moving the memory controller onto the processor (and
5 many other subtle things), memory will sometimes behave differently on
6 intel systems...
7
8 # r
9
10 Brian Litzinger wrote:
11 > On Sun, Jul 23, 2006 at 03:45:03PM +0200, Dieter Ries wrote:
12 >> hi,
15 >> currently i am running my gentoo on a 3000+ with 1g ram single channel.
16 >>
17 >> are there support problems with am2 chipsets? which mb's are the best? how big
18 >
19 > I setup two systems using the Abit KN9 SLI motherboards.
20 >
21 > http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=315
22 >
23 > It is AM2 and DDR2. I had an Athlon X2 4200 cpu.
24 >
25 > At first I tried using 800MHz Cosair memory. But the system would
26 > not boot. Just beeped the BIOS beep of death.
27 >
28 > I read on some of the gaming forums that others were having troubles
29 > with this motherboard and running memories at their top rated speed.
30 >
31 > As it is a gaming MB every last detail is configurable in the
32 > BIOS. Others had success fine tuning the DRAM parameters for
33 > the particular memory they had.
34 >
35 > Others suggested running the memory at one notch below maximum.
36 >
37 > I.E. 800 -> 667, 667 -> 540, and so on.
38 >
39 > This latter trick worked for me.
40 >
41 > The gamers report the system is quite reliable and I found the same
42 > thing with RAM speed downgrade.
43 >
44 > An interesting problem with running the memory below rated is
45 > how do you get started?
46 >
47 > The BIOS defaults to 'DRAM speed by SPD', so if your 800MHz memory
48 > doesn't work you can't get into the BIOS to change the settings.
49 >
50 > The solution there is have some slow memory laying around to
51 > boot and set the CMOS.
52 >
53 > There where also cases (I tried lots of different memory) where
54 > some memories would boot at their rated maximum but would fail
55 > memtest86.
56 >
66 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list