From: Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: not amd64 specific - disk failure
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 10:26:33
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com> posted 47429114.5030102@××.com,
3 > excerpted below, on Tue, 20 Nov 2007 08:47:32 +0100:
4 >
5 > ... You never mentioned exactly what happened to the disk. Mine was
6 > overheating. I live in Phoenix, AZ, and my AC went out in the middle of
7 > the summer, with me gone and the computer left running. With outside
8 > temps often reaching close to 50 C (122 F), the temps inside with the AC
9 > off could have easily reached 60 C (140 F). Ambient case air temps could
10 > therefore have reached 70 C, and with the drive spinning in that... one
11 > can only guess what temps it reached!
12
13 Duncan,
14
15 I never get those high temperatures here, the highest I've seen at home
16 is ~30 C (86 F), no AC. I don't think the failure is temperature
17 related, I always mount a 12cm fan in front of the the HD enclosure, and
18 the HDs aren't even warm.
19
20 Previously the same HD was mounted in a different box, still AUSUS mobo
21 but VIA chipset instead of NVidia, and different BIOS. In that box the
22 disk was not automounted from fstab and if not mounted manually it was
23 normally completely cold even without the 12cm fan running, so I suspect
24 it was not even spinning (low power mode from BIOS?). I mounted it only
25 to archive movies after viewing them. In the Nvidia box behavior is
26 different, the disk warms up even if not mounted, but with the 12cm fan
27 always running the temp is low.
28
29 I have no explanation for this failure. The disk was used really little.
30 After (if) I recover data I'll try to read the HD SMART database, if I
31 remember well there are some useful counters there.
32
33 The HD is less than 3 years old and should still be under warranty, I'll
34 try to get a replacement from Seagate. But my movies are more important
35 now!
36
37 I'm sure it's not related, but the irony is that just few hours before
38 the failure I had run an e2fsck on that partition, not an error did it
39 report.
40
41 raffaele
42
43 PS Thanks for the hint on block size.
44 --
45 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list