From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Unexpected side effect of GCC 4
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 12:05:15
1 On Sunday 05 November 2006 10:12, Duncan wrote:
2
3 > What about linux-headers and glibc? The new glibc (2.5) has had some
4 > very strange interactions here.
5
6 Good point. On the firewall I have:
7 $ qpkg -v -I glibc
8 sys-libs/glibc-2.4-r3
9 $ qpkg -v -I linux-headers
10 sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.6.17-r1
11 $ uname -r
12 2.6.17-gentoo-r8
13 $ gcc-config -l
14 [1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.6 *
15 [2] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.6-hardened
16 [3] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.6-hardenednopie
17 [4] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.6-hardenednopiessp
18 [5] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.6-hardenednossp
19 [6] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.1.1
20
21 and on the workstation I have:
22 $ qpkg -v -I glibc
23 /glibc-2.5
24 $ qpkg -v -I linux-headers
25 /linux-headers-2.6.17-r1
26 $ uname -r
27 2.6.18-gentoo-r1
28 $ gcc-config -l
29 [1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.1.1 *
30 (I don't know what's causing qpkg to drop the first part of the package name
31 on the workstation. Is this another pointer to glibc?)
32
33 <snip description of Duncan's problem>
34
35 > One of these days I'll do a full emerge --emptytree, and see if that
36 > fixes it,
37
38 I couldn't get GCC upgraded to 4.1 on this workstation - I got lots of
39 unexplained compilation failures, especially in KDE packages, even though I
40 was following the instructions carefully and (I hope) intelligently - so in
41 the end I created another partition and installed a new 2006.1 system into
42 it. (I'd forgotten how many days would be needed for that, even on this
43 dual-Opteron-246 box with 4 GB. KDE takes an age. Perhaps I ought to look
44 into putting /tmp and /var/tmp onto tmpfs.) I still had to jump through a
45 few hoops to get the system installed at all: I remember having to
46 emerge --sync on first mounting the already-populated /usr/portage
47 partition during the early stages, and revdep-rebuild and fixpackages among
48 other things. I couldn't even create a user until after rebooting. I know
49 that's how the docs say to do it, but I've always created the user just
50 after setting the root password - it seems more logical to me and I don't
51 have to think so much. I've probably forgotten lots of other difficulties,
52 but perseverance paid off.
53
54 > Anyway, if you are running glibc 2.5 on any of the machines, how does
55 > the sudden return to full speed rsyncing match up with the machines with
56 > 2.5, if at all. What about the machine with my CFLAGS? If they are
57 > related in any way, "enquiring minds want to know!" =8^) If your
58 > mystery is glibc 2.5 related as well, well then, I'll not feel so strange
59 > as at least there'll be two folks with a similar glibc 2.5 related
60 > mystery, which makes it less of one already! =8^)
61
62 The firewall box has been untouched and continues to run with glibc-2.4-r3
63 and linux-headers-2.16.7-r1; that's the box with the rsync server. The
64 workstation is the one with all the changes, being in fact a new
65 installation from scratch. If I boot the old system, which I think has the
66 same versions of glibc and linux-headers as the firewall box (I'll try that
67 in a minute and let you know if it's otherwise), that's when I get ugly,
68 crippled rsync; if I boot this present system, with the versions I listed
69 at the top, rsync works as advertised. In other words, if this is a
70 consequence of glibc, the old version is broken and the new one isn't - the
71 converse of your experience, Duncan.
74 Rgds
75 Peter
76 --