From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Unexpected side effect of GCC 4
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 11:21:11
1 On Monday 06 November 2006 15:51, Duncan wrote:
2
3 > If you have bios entries for configuring it [...] we could try to work
4 > thru it.
5
6 I don't have those BIOS controls I'm afraid.
7
8 > Here, as I'm the only human user, I don't have to be [...] strict on
9 > security. To keep things simple, /var/tmp is a symlink to /tmp, so I
10 > don't have to worry about a tmpfs for both dirs. You'll want to set the
11 > following in make.conf:
12 >
13 > PKG_TMPDIR
14 > PORTAGE_TMPDIR
15 > PORTAGE_TMPFS
16
17 I decided on an even simpler approach. As I don't really want all the other
18 stuff in /var/tmp to evaporate every time I shut down, I put /tmp on
19 tmpfs, with this entry in /etc/fstab:
20 tmpfs /tmp tmpfs nodev,nosuid,size=85% 0 0
21
22 Then I added these entries to /etc/make.conf:
23 BUILD_PREFIX="/tmp/portage/build" # not sure I need this
24 CCACHE_DIR="/var/tmp/ccache" # to make sure it doesn't go looking in /tmp
25 PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/tmp"
26
27 > Note that setting [PORTAGE_TMPFS] to a small, say 50 meg, tmpfs, is useful
28 > even if you aren't setting PORTAGE_TMPDIR on tmpfs. It's used for
29 > quick/small stuff like lockfiles and the like. The portage docs suggest
30 > setting it to /dev/shm, an LSB standard location for such things. I have
31 > a separate (max 50 meg as I said) tmpfs mounted at /dev/shm and followed
32 > the recommendation to point PORTAGE_TMPFS at it.
33
34 Where did you find this recommendation? I can't find any reference to it.
35
36 > Of course, you'll only need PKG_TMPDIR if you have FEATURES=buildpkg set
37 > or otherwise deal with binary packages.
38
39 Same question.
40
41 > The disk spends most of its time idle, and you can watch the disk activity
42 > light and tell when the kernel's cache flush writes kick in, as it blinks
43 > red a couple times every few seconds.
44
45 My SATA disks don't show up on the disk activity LED, but I do have gkrellm
46 permanently on my desktop and it shows disk activity. I'll watch it with
47 interest :-)
48
49 Thanks for the help.
52 Rgds