From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Disable SPP On GCC-4.8.3
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 21:01:47
1 On Tue, 17 Jun 2014 21:28:14 +0100
2 thegeezer <thegeezer@×××××××××.net> wrote:
5 > howdy, just out of curiosity what benefits do you gain from disabling ssp ?
6 > is there a speed concern or resource issue ?
9 Every routine that is not explicitly declared in-line will necessitate
10 setting up a stack frame which is costly enough already.
11
12 With SSP every subroutine call will require an additional reading from
13 /dev/urandom to set up the "canary" value. This my also deplete the
14 kernel entropy pool.
15
16 If you want it take it but please allow me to opt out.
17
18 Frank Peters