From: Daniel Iliev <daniel.iliev@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] hardware choice
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 21:49:45
1 Hi, guys!
4 I've decided to get an Intel based box, but I've not been following
5 closely the hardware development for more than 5 years. Another
6 trouble is that most of the people I can ask don't use Gentoo and they
7 miss the point of "much compiling". So, I need your help.
10 1) CPU:
11
12 model,CPU Freq,FSB Freq,cache,technology
13
14 E8400, 3.00GHz, 1333MHz, 6MB, 45nm
15 Q8200, 2.33GHz, 1333MHz, 4MB, 45nm
16 Q6600, 2.40GHz, 1066MHz, 8MB, 65nm
17
18 Which one? (please, consider overclocking).
19
20 On the local market those are in the same price range and I'm going to
21 take Q6600 for the bigger cache (8MB). Is that the correct choice?
25 2) Main board.
26
27 I was advised to get Asus P5K Premium (P35, ICH9) for Q6600. The thing
28 is there are models from the P5Q series (like P5Q3) which have a newer
29 chipset (P45, ICH10) but the same price. I can't understand why should
30 I choose the premium mobo even it's an older model. Please, advise.
33 3) DDR2
34
35 600,800 or 1066? The thing confusing me is that the newer CPUs run at
36 1333MHz and the older (Q6600) at 1066. So, which DDR2?
39 4) Overclock
40
41 I intend to overclock the system but not extremely. I've been told
42 Q6600 would go up to 3GHz w/o any trouble. Is that true? How high
43 would the other two CPUs go w/o additional cooling and compromising
44 the stability?
47 Thanks in advance!
51 Best regards,
52 Daniel