From: Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] 64-bit or 32-bit?
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 00:11:43
1 Jim <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org> skribis:
2 > What do you do for a browser? Do you have to chroot every time you want
3 > to run your browser? Or do you run a 64-bit browser? The only real
4 > thing that I am missing is the ability to see a video in Firefox such as
5 > the movie trailers at Apple, etc.
6
7 I keep browsers in both environments. Normally I run Opera (which is
8 32-bit) in the 64-bit environment. For some videos actually you might
9 have some luck with konqueror and/or mozilla-firefox-bin, without need
10 for the 32-bit environment, but to me it's not a lot of trouble
11 running things in the 32-bit environment if I have to, given how easy
12 it to keep Gentoo up to date. The hard work is configuring the chroot
13 as I like it and making it come up and go down automatically, which
14 was a little bit of a programming task.
15
16 There is one use for which I have found a chroot quite useful, which
17 is building non-portage programs 32-bit. Then I can run them just fine
18 in 64-bit, by making links in /usr/local/lib32 to any libraries needed
19 that aren't already in the emul packages. (Plus I have to run
20 ldconfig.)
24 Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org http://www.chemoelectric.org
25 Esperantistoj rajtas skribi al Bojo ĉe chemoelectric.org.
26 'Democracies don't war; democracies are peaceful countries.' - Bush
27 (http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/12/20051219-2.html)