From: "Sven Köhler" <skoehler@×××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Resizing Vista
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 19:39:00
1 > Ok, so this is sort of a continuation of my previous question about
2 > Xserver, HP decided to replace my laptop after a little technical
3 > support issue, and now my PC has Vista on a 120 gig hard drive. The only
4 > problem is that for some reason neither my Gparted Live cd nor my gentoo
5 > live cd can resize the partition. I'd reinstall everything, but Compaq
6 > doesn't like providing OS restore disks, and instead put all the data on
7 > a separate partition. Most likely the restore disk will just setup the
8 > same partition scheme as before anyway. I've tried using the Vista disk
9 > partition utility, but it could only give me 587 mb in between the
10 > restore and OS partitions. It's annoying, does anyone know how to fix
11 > it? I've tried chkdsk and defrag already, but to no avail.
12
13 Well, i would try to use ntfsresize by hand.
14
15 An Alternative could be ntfsclone to backup the big and then restore to
16 a smaller partion.
17
18 But for some reason, gparted didn't like it. Maybe the recent versions
19 of ntfsprogs are not yet compatible with Vista. Who knows?
22 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list