From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Fwd: [install] emerge gentoo-sources fails
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 14:06:05
1 "Martin Herrman" <martin@×××××××.nl> posted
2 40bb8d3b0810191143n628adc43n644e0c4e5686bc3d@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Sun, 19 Oct 2008 20:43:20 +0200:
4
5 > I want to install gentoo on my brand new quadcore, following the amd64
6 > handbook install manual. $emerge gentoo-sources fails:
7
8 I don't know why you're getting binary data in your environment, unless
9 it perhaps has to do with unicode or the like.
10
11 Since I know bash scripting reasonably well (well enough to debug and
12 write my own when necessary), I'd probably modify the ebuild and/or
13 eclasses as necessary to trace it down, as I have with various other
14 problems with ebuilds and initscripts over the years. (FWIW, taking apart
15 initscripts back on Mandrake, in the 8.x era, was how I /learned/ bash.)
16 However, that's not likely to work so well if you don't know bash and
17 aren't inclined to try to learn it at this point.
18
19 However, all that said, you're in luck to some extent, as it's the kernel
20 you're having problems with, and it really doesn't matter where or how
21 you get your kernel. Here, I already knew how to configure and build my
22 own mainline kernel.org vanilla kernel (having learned in those first few
23 weeks after switching to Linux, again, back on Mandrake), so I simply
24 stuck whatever kernel the system decided it wanted in
25 /etc/portage/profile/package.provided so portage didn't try to install
26 it, and did my usual kernel.org kernel download, make oldconfig, build
27 and install routine, much as I did back on Mandrake, with only a couple
28 changes as appropriate for my then new Gentoo install.
29
30 So I'd suggest doing similar. Download, configure, build and install
31 whatever kernel you like, say the mainline Linus kernel.org kernel, stick
32 a line in package.provided to tell portage not to worry about the kernel,
33 and don't worry about the ebuild failure. Of course, doing it the first
34 time while learning how will take some time, and your first kernel or two
35 (or three or five or...) may not boot, and the next set may boot but be
36 missing functionality if you were conservative in what you configured or
37 you'll be building extra if you were liberal in what you configured, but
38 there are good instructions for the basics, you can check to see what's
39 loaded in your running (livecd or whatever) kernel and use that as a base
40 config, and the second time will be easier, the third time easier than
41 that, and before you know it, it'll be old hat. (Still, I sometimes
42 wonder what the new config options do when I update and configure a new
43 kernel, but it's fairly safe to say configure all new hardware out once
44 you get a kernel configured for your system, and on the general
45 functionality, configure it the best you can, and if it doesn't boot, or
46 does but is missing something you need, boot back to the old kernel if
47 necessary, change that bit of the config, rebuild, and retry.)
48
49 Yes, all this a challenge and will take some time, but then you'll be
50 left with a system better configured to your specific needs and a better
51 understanding of how it works and what to do to fix it when it breaks.
52 Gentoo was always targeted at the person who wasn't afraid of a bit of
53 learning now and then. If you're more comfortable with the distribution
54 making those types of decisions and shipping prebuilt binaries for you,
55 lots of other distributions out there will be a much better fit for you
56 than Gentoo.
61 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman