From: Mark Creamer <mcreamer@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] controlling processor peaks
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 18:37:00
I have a fresh install of 2005.0. PC specs are AMD Athlon 64 3200, 2 GB
RAM. I'm noticing that certain applications will monopolize the CPU for
a moment and then drop off. But during that time, mouse is hung, and
nothing else will work or will work sporadically.

An example would be opening PAN newsgroup reader, and selecting a group
that has a large number of messages. Until all the message headers are
loaded into the reader, even if that's only a few seconds, I can't do

How can I tune Gentoo so the processor doesn't peak for one app like this?