From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Switching profiles
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 10:49:01
1 Yuri Pimenov <yuri@×××××××××××××.com> posted
2 44B2265E.7010408@×××××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on Mon, 10 Jul 2006
3 13:05:18 +0300:
4
5 > Today I switched my profile from x86 to amd64 and have problems
6 > rebuilding the system.
7 > I know that AMD64 FAQ states that it is impossible to upgrade from
8 > x86 to amd64,
9 > and it's better to perform the "fresh install". But is that really so?
10 >
11 > At the moment I cant' rebuild ncurses, because configure can't find gpm
12 > in /lib64, so the "emerge -e system" fails.
13
14 It is really "impossible"... at least for anything like the same level of
15 simplicity. (By cross-compiling, you could do it, but it's entirely
16 unsupported and would be initially mostly manually compiled, AFAIK. Put
17 it this way, just the level of question you asked suggests you don't have
18 the knowledge to do it at this point, and while you could certainly get it
19 over time, you're likely looking at weeks worth of work figuring it out.)
20
21 At a minimum, to do a normal rebuild, you'd need a 64-bit capable
22 compiler, a 64-bit kernel, and a multilib glibc to base your rebuild on.
23 It appears you are still using your i686 32-bit system ATM. To get the
24 above minimum, you'd either start from a stage tarball or bootstrap
25 manually using cross-compiling. The stage tarball is documented,
26 supported, and tested, the manual cross-compiling you'd be on your own.
27
28 Note that the default is now a stage-3 install. Once you get the base
29 system up, if you do it right (keep the 32-bit stuff separate and treat it
30 like a chroot, see the 32-bit chroot guide) you should be able to run your
31 existing 32-bit stuff if desired, while you complete the build-out of the
32 rest of your 64-bit system (assuming you don't use the packages CD to
33 quick-start your 64-bit system and thus don't need to use the 32-bit stuff
34 while waiting on the 64-bit stuff).
39 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
42 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list