From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Can not compile gcc
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 06:41:59
1 "Mansour Al Akeel" <mansour.alakeel@×××××.com> posted
2 2a21586d0811141858h285d1e98ka29524bc2d74ed47@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Fri, 14 Nov 2008 22:58:41 -0400:
4
5 > After I enabled IA32_EMULATION everything went fine. gcc emerge was
6 > succefull and installed glibc, now I am installing gnome.
7
8 Cool! =:^)
9
10 > Since I am new
11 > to gentoo, I decided to have a look at the profile concept. In the
12 > future, if I find that I don't need the 32-bit java plugin for applets
13 > or flash or drivers for my wireless, nvidia ... etc, I will reconsider
14 > switching my profile to no-multilib. I am expecting a lot of issues to
15 > resolve when I do so, but that's ok.
16
17 Profiles are a neat concept, indeed. It's very useful to be able to set
18 a desktop or server, or no-multilb, profile, and have it "magically" set
19 many USE flags and some other stuff appropriately, without having to set
20 each one individually.
21
22 If you stick around for awhile, new profiles come online with support for
23 new features, and old ones may be deprecated. There's a nice howto guide
24 for changing or upgrading your profile, when the time comes, but it's
25 generally quite easy, and because Gentoo normally does rolling upgrades,
26 making individual package upgrades available as they come out, you've
27 usually upgraded nearly all your packages before changing the profile,
28 and it's MUCH MUCH easier than upgrading from one release to another of a
29 binary distribution.
34 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman