From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: ohci-hcd slows down boot
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 05:04:40
1 Karol Krizka posted <200510211844.12551.kkrizka@×××××.com>, excerpted
2 below, on Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:44:06 -0700:
3
4 > For some time I have been having this problem: when bottom the system hangs
5 > for several minutes before continuing duing the "Checking for ohci-hcd..." (I
6 > think, might be "Loading") stage. I am not sure what the problem is and it
7 > has persisted through several kernel versions. Do you know if there is a way
8 > to fix this? If not can it be removed?
9
10 You could compile the kernel without the affected module.
11
12 Note that with USB there are three bus standards to choose from, OHCI and
13 UHCI are USB 1.x standards (UHCI is the Intel/Via solution, OHCI the
14 community standard, doing more in hardware, lspci -v will usually list the
15 controller with the interface you need) EHCI is USB 2.x).
16
17 You'll normally need only one of the above, UHCI, OHCI, or EHCI, possibly
18 EHCI for USB 2.0 and one of the others, if your board offers some USB 1.x
19 only, and some USB 2.x ports. The only time you'd need both of the USB
20 1.x interface standards would be if you had one onboard and the second as
21 a plugin board. See the associated kernel config help items for each of
22 the above options, for more details.
23
24 Figure out which of the above you have, and disable the others, and it
25 could fix your problem. That's assuming, of course, that you don't have
26 OHCI, thus the reason for the long pause trying to detect it. If you have
27 it and use it so can't disable it, and it's simply pausing a while to
28 detect it, this obviously won't be a lot of help, but chances are, you
29 don't have OHCI, so it takes a while trying to find it before giving up.
34 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
35 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
39 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list