From: Peter Hoff <petehoff@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Gentoo crashing?
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 19:35:38
1 ----- Original Message ----
2 From: Isidore Ducasse ducasse.isidore@×××××.com
5 Very interesting post!
6 Could you explain what "mobo" means?
7 And BTW (_almost_ off-topic...) I've heard that RAM sticks should be identical when plugged on the same motherboard, but it was some "good vendor advice" so I'd rather rely on some experienced user's answer.
8 So is there an issue if two RAM sticks of different brands are plugged on the same motherboard? What if, whilst of the same brand, they don't have the same capacity? Could Peter's issue be related to this kind of problem?
12 For the most part RAM sticks are identical. I have seen some issues in the past where this was not the case, but this was back in the bad old days of SIMMs. The issue I saw was where a manufacturer streamlined their design and were able to start manufacturing sticks with 4 layer circuit boards instead of the usual 6 layers. The slightly thinner board result in occasional problems with flakey connections in RAM slots that were designed for the thicker ones.
13
14 I've also heard of some long term corrosion problems in RAM slots when the slot pins were of a different metal than the pins on the stick, but I've never actually seen it myself.
15
16 Really, the main problems you'll run into are due to different quality levels from different manufacturers. As someone else in this thread mentioned, not all manufacturers can be reliedd upon to give accurate representations of the timing settings their RAM can handle.