From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Gnome 2.12... to 2.14... on X11 v7!
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 09:52:49
1 "Christopher E" <sensory.access@×××××.com> posted
2 184c54640605101953m21b513a1v39c4d10b372bf7f2@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Wed, 10 May 2006 22:53:31 -0400:
4
5 > Is there any one running the latest Gnome (2.14) that is ~amd64 with
6 > the latest X (7) ~amd64?
7 >
8 > If so is there any thing I should look out for before emergeing the
9 > Gnome 2.14 ~amd64?
10
11 Latest? I suppose this makes me a ricer in some camps, but here, I'm
12 running xorg 7.1-rc2, the latest masked in-tree version as of yesterday,
13 compiled with a still masked but surprisingly trouble-free gcc-4.1.0.
14
15 (On the gcc thing, pan 0.9x, again still masked and I'm running a version
16 from a bumped ebuild in my overlay, to get the latest from the site,
17 requires >300 MB memory to build with gcc 4.1.0, but 1.3 GIGABYTES to
18 compile with the old and decrepit but latest unmasked gcc 3.4.6. Stumbled
19 across that when an Gentoo amd64 user couldn't get it compiled on his
20 ~arch box running gcc-3.4.x, with "only" a gig of memory -- the kernel OOM
21 killer kept killing it. I tested on my box with 8 gig of memory and came
22 up with the above numbers.)
23
24 Anyway, no problems beyond the to-be-expected issues with an xorg rc (the
25 xorg-native radeon driver isn't recognizing ctrl-alt-numplus/numminus
26 hotkey zooming, at present, tho the xorg log says it sends it, and
27 krandr/xrandr work), and of course GNOME's retardedness, lacking a place
28 to type the path in the filechooser unless you ctrl-L hotkey it, etc.
35 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
38 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list