From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Emerge and Tmpfs
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 17:46:49
1 2009/7/7 Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
2
3 > On Tuesday 07 July 2009 15:36:23 Frank Peters wrote:
4 > > After reading through the thread on this list about the benefits
5 > > of mounting PORTAGE_TMPDIR as tmpfs, I decided that I will be doing
6 > > this mount from now on. My total RAM is 4G, but since I only "emerge
7 > > world" about once per week, I can easily set aside temporarily 2G or more
8 > > for this purpose.
9 > >
10 > > However, after doing some more reading, I find that some people recommend
11 > > mounting tmpfs using the option nr_inodes=1M, while others just accept
12 > > the default value for nr_inodes.
13 > >
14 > > To me, setting maximum inodes to 1M seems a bit high. Can emerge
15 > > actually generate that many temporary files? Would it be safer and also
16 > > avoid swapping to set nr_inodes=1M or is the default good enough?.
17 >
18 > This is my fstab line:
19 >
20 > tmpfs /tmp tmpfs nodev,nosuid,size=6g 0 0
21 >
22 > I have 4GB RAM. If /tmp filled up too much I'd find the machine swapping,
23 > but I've never noticed it doing so. I've also watched top while doing some
24 > large jobs, and it's never shown more than a little swap space used and
25 > I've never caught it doing any swap transfers.
28 this might happen especcially when you skip many packages that fail because
29 of portage not removing the source and this being moved into the swap.
32 dott. ing. beso