From: Drake Donahue <donahue95@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] wireless setup from install
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 14:16:49
1 ----- Original Message -----
2 From: "Gavin Seddon" <gavin.m.seddon@×××××××××××××.uk>
3 To: "Gentoo" <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
4 Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2006 5:05 AM
5 Subject: [gentoo-amd64] wireless setup from install
8 > Hi,
9 > I have new wireless router which this machine is plugged into. We have
10 > a spare P4 here which I want to put Getoo on to keep backups on. The
11 > machine will have no kb/m or terminal and be accessed soley by ssh.
12 > Naturally I prefer to set up networking from instillation however, this
13 > is proving difficult. Can anyone tell me how to achieve this? If this
14 > is too difficult I will move the box in here for instillation and set up
15 > a wireless connection later.
16
17 reference is the gentoo handbook x86 version.
18 google "gentoo wireless network howto" yields lots of stuff includihg
19 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=4&chap=4
20 you ran "net-setup eth0" for wireless? if so what feedback?
21 manual configuration? if so what feedback?
22 perhaps rf propagation problem? move p4 next to amd64 and try again.
23 bad dongle? shut down machines and reset router swap dongles start back up
24 with crossed fingers
25
26 > Is this easier?
27 > The router is a linksys wireless-g 802.11g . The usb dongle on the pc
28 > is asus. If I type lsusb the system can see it.
29 > BTW the p4 is temporarily connected to a monitor, kb/m. I have searched
30 > the www extensively but nothing seems to anwser my prob. So, if someone
31 > can point to a url this would be useful.
32 > )Thanks.
33 > Gavin.
34 > --
35 > Dr Gavin Seddon
36 > School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
37 > University of Manchester
38 > Oxford Road, Manchester
39 > M13 9PL, U.K.
40 >