From: Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] mplayer 'illegal instruction'
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 11:51:02
1 I use the binpkg feature to quickly update an Athlon64 system with
2 packages compiled on an Athlon64 X2 system. march=athlon64 on both
3 systems, I avoided using the new gcc 4.3.2 march=native option to
4 maintain compatibility. The Athlon64 apparently runs fine, but yesterday
5 I discovered that mplayer aborts with 'illegal instruction', spitting
6 out a warning that possibly the package was compiled for a different
7 machine, which is true!
8
9 Anybody has ideas why it is happening? On last update I switched from
10 gcc-4.2.1 to gcc-4.3.2, but since the system seemed stable and running
11 fine till now I did not do the recommended emerge -e world. Maybe some
12 mplayer dependency is still referencing the old gcc libraries?
13
14 raffaele