From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Identifying CPUs in the kernel
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 18:20:49
1 On Freitag, 22. Juni 2007, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Friday 22 June 2007 16:01:56 Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
3 > > On Freitag, 22. Juni 2007, Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 > > > I'm beginning to think there must be a problem with my motherboard. Can
5 > > > anyone suggest something else for me to check?
6 > >
7 > > yes, wait for .22 kernel.
8 >
9 > The vanilla sources I've tried are .22 and they behave the same.
10
11 .22 is not released yet - and the rcX seem to be badly broken in the
12 filesystem area.
13
14 There are reported problems with xfs, ext3 and reiserfs using systems. I would
15 stay away from them until 2.6.22 is released.
18 > > AFAIR There is a bugfix about scheduling on dual core cpus in the
19 > > upcoming release.
20 >
21 > I forgot to say that these are dual sockets, not cores.
22 >
23 > > Aside from that, if everything else is more or less spreaded equally, I
24 > > would suspect BOINC and not the kernel. But you can try different
25 > > schedulers (Con Kolivas' rsdl or what it is called or Ingo Molnar's cfs -
26 > > not to confused with with io schedulers) to see if there is a
27 > > difference.
28 >
29 > I'll look into that idea - thanks.
30