From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted.
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 19:07:11
1 On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 04:04:50 +1100
2 Lie Ryan <lie.1296@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > What's the advantage of LILO nowadays? I used grub because of two
6 > reasons: 1) I don't need to re-install the MBR when changing grub's
7 > .conf file and 2) I can edit configuration at boot time, useful when
8 > you messed up your grub.conf. Last time I checked (admittedly long
9 > time ago) LILO cannot do both of these. Granted, I've never used LILO,
10 > does it boot faster or runs on more platforms or is there any
11 > particular reason why you used it?
14 For one thing, it is completely independent of the kernel and some
15 were expressing concerns about compatibility with 64-bit.
16
17 Lilo is also simpler, but it is not as versatile as grub.
18
19 My point is not that lilo is an advantage, but that it should not
20 be overlooked by those who may not require a complex set-up.
21 The trend seems to be to trash everything in favour of grub.
22
23 The legacy boot method is being slowly eliminated and will be
24 replaced by EFI. For this there is elilo, which I hope to be
25 using.
26
27 Frank Peters