From: Richard Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Upgrading from amd64 to ~amd64.
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 03:56:59
1 On Mon, October 17, 2005 10:50 pm, Toby Fisher wrote:
2 > running system? Is it just a case of changing to an arch of ~amd64 and
3 doing the upgrade? I'll bet it isn't which is why I'm asking here - I'd
4 like not to have to start from scratch.
7 One tip I have is to avoid doing huge upgrades in a single shot, unless it
8 is on a testing-only chroot that you don't care about too much.
9
10 I would probably do an emerge -puD world and look at the likely-huge list
11 of packages. I'd probably manually emerge stuff like portage / gcc /
12 glibc / toolchain early on. I'd also pick out stuff like base system
13 files, PAM-related stuff, and any stuff related to servers you depend on
14 (maybe samba servers for around the house, a webserver, etc). I'd upgrade
15 these individually so that you don't end up with a box that you can't
16 login to with no idea what broke it. Once you have the guts of the system
17 upgraded and the system can actually boot correctly then you can upgrade
18 the rest and just fix the occassional non-critical breakage as you have
19 time.
20
21 I try to avoid doing mass-updates to critical system files. Usually any
22 breakage in system files can be easily fixed, but it helps to know what
23 package broke the system, rather than starting with a wild goose chase.
24 If you have a dispatch-conf with 500 files to update it is hard to know
25 which ones to pay attention to. It is also nice to not have to boot from
26 rescue disks with limited access to editors/browsers/etc.
27
28 Often a straight emerge -uD world will work, but if you actually care to
29 maintain some kind of uptime on your system it never hurts to take things
30 carefully if a large number of packages are involved.
31
32 Note - this is general advice only. I have not ever tried to "upgrade"
33 from amd64 to ~amd64.
34 --
35 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list