From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] AMD browsing and multimedia
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 19:05:44
1 Hi,
2 I'm wondering what the best solutions are right now for a full
3 featured browser in GentooAMD64?
4
5 I use a number of Investing web sites. Some of them won't even try
6 to run certain features telling me I'm on an unsupported OS. The ones
7 that do try to run the features seem to fail in one area or another.
8 Is it possible to make all 3 of these technologies work in a single
9 browser on AMD64?
10
11 1) Java
12 2) Flash
13 3) 32-bit streaming media?
14
15 It seems that if I run firefox-bin I get most Flash and streaming
16 media, or at least as much as I think I need. However I definitely do
17 not get Java.
18
19 It seems that if I run firefox compiled for 64-bit then Flash
20 doesn't work and I don't think all Java does either, or at least on my
21 system.
22
23 I did for a while try playing with a 32-bit chroot but that was a
24 lot of work to use and keep up to date. I stopped using it. It's now
25 out of date and frankly I don't even remember how to start it anymore
26 but will go back to it if necessary.
27
28 Here is a quick view of what's installed. If it's a question of USE
29 flags I'll post back more info if needed:
30
31 mark@lightning ~ $ eix -Ic firefox
32 [I] www-client/mozilla-firefox (2.0-r2@12/03/2006): Firefox Web Browser
33 [I] www-client/mozilla-firefox-bin (1.5.0.8@11/16/2006): Firefox Web Browser
34 Found 2 matches.
35 mark@lightning ~ $
36
37 mark@lightning ~ $ eix -Ic java
38 [I] app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-java (1.4.2.03-r1(1.4.2)@09/11/2006):
39 32bit version Sun's J2SE Development Kit
40 [I] dev-java/java-config (1.3.7@10/19/2006 2.0.30(2)@10/19/2006): Java
41 environment configuration tool
42 [I] dev-java/java-config-wrapper (0.12-r1@10/19/2006): Wrapper for java-config
43 Found 3 matches.