From: Hamish <hamish@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] LiveCD 2006.1 doesn't match docs...
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 22:51:22
1 Hi.
2
3 I'm trying to install gentoo amd64 on my new core2Duo (Thinkpad z61m
4 9540-HAG). I already have it installed on my amd62 x2 desktop, so I can at
5 least follow instructions that far.
6
7 However... I boot the new 2006.1 CD on my laptop... It doesn't start without
8 acpi=off for some reason... With acpi-off I get no network. But that's not
9 fatal... Worse case I have to manually copy a kernel from my desktop that
10 WILL run the tg3 and acpi at the same time...
11
12 I look in the docs... The docs
13 (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2006.1/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1) say
14 wonderful things like a GTK+ based installer... But X won't start... I get a
15 CLI. No worries I say. I 'll use the dialog based one... (installer) Oops...
16 Not found... I do a find... No installer...
17
18 WTF!
19
20 Why are the docs for 2006.1 amd64 telling me to use a utility that doesn't
21 exist?
22
23 Oh frack! The liveCD can't see my disk either...(SATA). (Probably due to the
24 noacpi). Well... Actually it knows there is a disk there. But can't identify
25 it...
26
27 Has anyone out there managed to install gentoo on a relavtively recent
28 core2duo from Lenovo? Failing that, is it possible to (easily) replace the
29 liveCD kernel with one that works (e.g. 2.6.18-gentoo-r2 which appears to
30 boot & run my tg3 & sata disk, but of course I haven't got an emerge or
31 anything now...(Bastardising around I can get the stage3 from the net,
32 unpack, a kernel from my dsktop, use knoppix-32bit to build a gentoo
33 filesystem with snapshot & stage3, but no emerge etc to do the rest that I
34 can find... Doh!).
37 TIA
38 Hamish.