From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Soliciting new RAID ideas
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 23:51:42
1 Am Tue, 27 May 2014 15:39:38 -0700
2 schrieb Bob Sanders <rsanders@×××.com>:
3
4 > Mark Knecht, mused, then expounded:
5 [...]
6 > > Beyond this I need to talk file system types. I'm fat dumb and
7 > > happy with Ext4 and don't really relish dealing with new stuff but
8 > > now's the time to at least look.
11 > If you change, do not use ZFS and possibly BTRFS if the system does not
12 > have ECC DRAM. A single, unnoticed, ECC error can corrupt the data pool
13 > and be written to the file system, which effectively renders it corrupt
14 > without a way to recover.
15 [...]
16
17 As someone who recently switched an mdraid to BTRFS (with / on EXT4 on an
18 SSD, which will be migrated at a later point, once I feel more at ease with
19 BTRFS), I was curious about this, so I googled it. I found two threads, [0]
20 and [3], which dispute (and most likely refute) this notion that BTRFS is more
21 susceptible to memory errors than other file systems.
22
23 While I am far from a filesystem/storage expert (I see myself as a mere user),
24 the cited threads lead me to believe that this is most likely an
25 overhyped/misunderstood class of errors (e.g., posts [1] and [2]), so I would
26 suggest reading them in their entirety.
27
28 [0] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.btrfs/31832
29 [1] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.btrfs/31871
30 [2] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.btrfs/31877
31 [3] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.btrfs/31821
32
33 HTH
34 --
35 Marc Joliet
36 --
37 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
38 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup