From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Tyan Motherboards
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 11:59:25
1 Joshua Hoblitt <jhoblitt@××××××××××.edu> posted
2 20070503221801.GC28620@××××××××××.edu, excerpted below, on Thu, 03 May
3 2007 12:18:01 -1000:
4
5 > The S288x series also only use socket 940 which is rapidly fading from
6 > the market.
7
8 Well, it should have /some/ time yet, as AMD recently introduced the x90
9 series, at 2.8 GHz. That's what I expect I'll be upgrading to. Prices at
10 pricewatch.com are running just over $700 for the 290, so just over $1400
11 for the pair. The biggest thing I'll miss is the support for hardware
12 virtualization in the 4-digit Opterons, but oh, well...
13
14 PCI-E would be nice too, but the paucity of good libreware driver
15 supported PCI-E graphics hardware at present means there's little to miss
16 there, and the multiple bus PCI/PCI-X on my current s2885 gives me
17 sufficient room for data expansion there, if necessary, so there's little
18 to miss there as well. Thus, it's the missing hardware virtualization
19 support in the 290s that'll be the big downer for me.
24 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
27 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list