From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: how to track down strange bug
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 00:38:55
1 "Florian D." <flockmock@×××.at> posted 4536AB1E.80004@×××.at, excerpted
2 below, on Thu, 19 Oct 2006 00:30:54 +0200:
3
4 > I have been hitting by a bug for ages, which I want to get rid of
5 > eventually ;)
6 >
7 > It is not possible for me to watch TV via xawtv, while doing IO intensive
8 > tasks in the background. In the majority of cases, it suffices to copy a,
9 > say, 50MB file from my USB-stick to the harddisk to freeze my amd64
10 > machine (but, funny enough, the sound is playing further on).
11
12 No way to say this is what you are experiencing without knowing more
13 details than you could have provided in a first post on the subject, but
14 in many cases, such problems are due to running the wrong or a generic
15 hard drive (PATA/SATA/SCSI whatever) chipset driver, or perhaps more
16 often, a bunch of such drivers -- I've seen as many as eight different
17 drivers loaded on the same machine, where only one or possibly two would
18 normally be used. Get the wrong one loaded or loaded before the right
19 one so the right one has nothing to grab, and you don't get DMA activated,
20 and the CPU must be much more intimately involved in every I/O
21 transaction, which also goes much slower.
22
23 So make sure you have the right one running, and aren't loading a bunch of
24 others, and that DMA is active (merge hdparm and read the manpage).
25
26 The problem in this case would be slow non-DMA I/O interfering with video
27 DMA as well.
28
29 The problem could also be a non-optimally configured xorg or extensions,
30 or selecting a type of video transfer that your particular video hardware
31 and xorg driver don't support.
32
33 Finally, flaky memory, overclocking and/or overheating, or an unstable
34 power supply chain (from the wall outlet thru the UPS if you have one,
35 thru the PSU) can do it. Of course, these are likely to show up in other
36 areas as well, such as when merging on Gentoo.
37
38 I've had all those problems at one time or another.
43 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
46 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list