From: Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon@××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] VMware Player on Gentoo question
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 17:34:13
1 On Thursday 09 March 2006 17.22, Marco Matthies wrote:
2
3 > You might also want to check out qemu[1], which is free and is in
4 > portage -- the main difference is a somewhat more spartanic user interface.
5 >
6 > Just remember to use the kernel module kqemu as well for adequate speed
7 > (somewhat less than vmware at the moment, but it is going to get to
8 > vmware levels pretty soon).
9
10 I haven't tried qemu on Gentoo yet - my previous testing (with or without
11 kernel module) showed a dramatic lack of speed (at least when powering a
12 virtual machine running Windows).
13
14 I'm a supporter of open source, but there *are* closed source programs that
15 perform better sometime (note that there also are closed source programs that
16 perform worse...)
17
18 But I'll keep an eye on quemu - that by the way I believe is free but not
19 really open source, but maybe I'm mistaking.
20
21 Thierry
24 The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a
25 capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
26 safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
27 Frank Zappa
28 --
29 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list