From: "Michal Žeravík" <michalz@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Get synaptics touchpad to work after initial installation
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 09:41:25
1 Patrick McLean wrote:
2 > Michal ®eravík wrote:
3 >> Antoine Martin wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 07:45 -0500, Mark Haney wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>>
8 >>>> I did something kind of stupid, when I first installed Gentoo, I
9 >>>> left my usb optical mouse connected to my laptop. After install
10 >>>> that mouse works fine, but the synaptics touchpad does not. Any
11 >>>> good hints on how to make it work? I've emerged synaptics, but that
12 >>>> hasn't help, so there must be something else. Should I rebuild my
13 >>>> xorg.conf file?
14 >>>>
15 >>> This isn't a gentoo-amd64 question, but my guess is that your xorg.conf
16 >>> points to the usb mouse. The synaptics probably comes up as a normal
17 >>> psaux mouse. Simply adding another mouse device section should do it.
18 >>> Google should be able to find this for you. ("synaptics device
19 >>> section")
20 >>>
21 >>> Antoine
22 >>>
23 >>>
24 >>>
25 >>
26 >> don't forget to enable Device Manager in kernel (multidevice...)
27 > You mean RAID/LVM? You don't need that unless you are using RAID or
28 > volume management. Almost every desktop user doesn't need that stuff,
29 > the "device manager" you are thinking about is nothing like the
30 > windows one, it's for managing arrays of drives in servers, not system
31 > devices.
32
33 If you have synaptic touchpad, you need device manager.
34 At least what I've tried on notebook. Compile it into kernel.
35 I afraid that you can't get touchpad working unless it's enabled.
36
37 michal
38 --
39 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list