From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted.
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 21:02:59
1 Frank Peters posted on Thu, 09 Dec 2010 10:36:29 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 00:11:20 -0600
4 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >> I do have nvidia video cards. I assume the nvidia-drivers package will
8 >> work fine with no-multilib? The way I am reading things it will but I
9 >> do want drivers that work.
12 > Don't forget about the stock nv driver that is supplied by Xorg. It may
13 > not have 3D acceleration but it will perform very well for most common
14 > activities. Both work as no-multilib.
15 >
16 > I set up my system in a way that allows me to start X with either the nv
17 > or the proprietary nvidia driver. For normal activities, which is most
18 > of the time, I use nv, but there are some occasions when I require the
19 > full power of the proprietary nvidia.
20
21 FWIW and heads-up: The nv driver has been partially supported by nVidia
22 in the past, mostly as a driver that can be run long enough for users to
23 get to the nVidia site and download the nVidia driver. However, they've
24 announced its deprecation, and that they won't be updating it any longer.
25 Officially, nVidia says users can switch to the also unaccelerated vesa
26 driver if needed, but they don't mention the nouveau driver. The word is,
27 however, that the nouveau driver is already better than the nv driver and
28 that distributions were starting to ship it anyway, to the point that it
29 really didn't make that much sense for nVidia to continue supporting the nv
30 driver.
31
32 So do consider switching, at least as you upgrade. It's probably not
33 ready to switch to for folks on 100% stable just yet, but as stable
34 upgrades, it should be.
39 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman