From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: SATA mdraid woes
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 20:38:04
1 "Peter Humphrey" <prh@××××××××××.uk> posted
2 20061228180653.40B4A2B8ADF@×××××××××××××××.uk, excerpted below, on Thu,
3 28 Dec 2006 18:06:48 +0000:
4
5 [snipped]
6
7 > md: linear personality registered for level -1
8 > md: raid0 personality registered for level 0
9 > md: raid1 personality registered for level 1
10 > [so I've got mdraid compiled in]
11 > ...
12 > Activating mdev
13 > Detected real_root as a md device. Setting up the device node
14 > Determining root device...
15 > Mounting root...
16 > ...
17 > The root block device is unspecified or not detected.
18 > --
19 > [end of transcript]
20 > Then I'm invited to specify another device, or enter a shell. I use the
21 > shell to say "ls -l /dev/md2", which shows the block device I expect to see,
22 > but "cat /dev/md2" returns an empty result. If I do that from the
23 > installation CD I get a dump of the contents of the md disk, so it seems
24 > that the node exists but it isn't connected to the array /dev/md2.
25 >
26 > All I can think of is that I've made an error in creating the RAID-1 arrays,
27 > but can anyone point me to what that might be?
28
29 >From what I've seen, there aren't a lot of folks on this list doing RAID,
30 and some of the ones that are, are using the DM-RAID firmware-RAID stuff,
31 rather than md-RAID.
32
33 I'm doing RAID, but RAID-only, no non-RAID boot and no initramfs, so that
34 aspect of it I'm unfamiliar with and that seems to be the problem, so I'll
35 be of limited help. I'm /guessing/ the most likely list to have real RAID
36 experts on it is going to be the gentoo-server list, which I've never
37 subscribed to so I can't say for sure /what/ they call topical there.
38
39 FWIW tho I don't see that it's going to help you presently, unless you
40 decide to rework to do something similar, I'm setup using md RAID-0, -1,
41 and -6 on four identically partitioned SATA drives. RAID-0 for /boot since
42 GRUB can work with it. Partitioned RAID-6 for my main system, with root
43 (including everything portage writes to, so much of /var and /usr, on
44 root, keeping portage in sync with what's on the partition) and a backup
45 root image on two of the RAID-6 partitions (I'd go with a second backup
46 image if I redid it) and an LVM2 managed RAID-6 partition as well for
47 data. The RAID-0 covers all the temp and redownloadable stuff such as the
48 portage tree.
49
50 Critically, my root and backup root partitions are directly on the
51 partitioned RAID-6, not on LVM2, so I don't need an initramfs. md-RAID is
52 built-in and can be configured on the kernel command line from GRUB, while
53 LVM2 requires userspace configuration, thus an initramfs, which I can
54 avoid by placing my root and backup directly on partitioned RAID-6
55 partitions.
56
57 Thus, in the event of motherboard/SATA-chipset hardware failure, all
58 that's needed to get going again is a new mobo and the ability to compile
59 a kernel with the appropriate standard SATA drivers for the new chipset.
60 The kernel is pointed at the correct root from its command line directly,
61 no initramfs or the like needed, and lvm2 loads from the main root and
62 only manages non-system data, so I have a fully working root complete with
63 all the usual binaries to work with if I have lvm2 issues.
68 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
71 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list