From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How do I switch to a window manager?
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 18:52:04
1 Steve Herber <herber@×××××.com> posted
2 Pine.LNX.4.64.0906170910450.29525@×××××.com, excerpted below, on Wed, 17
3 Jun 2009 09:39:13 -0700:
4
5 > Can somebody answer a question, related to the favorite WM question, how
6 > do I change to an alternative window manager?
7 >
8 > I normally run xdm and update my .xinitrc or .xsession file to do this
9 > but I feel that there should be a better way. How do you do it?
10
11 My "better way" is to not use a graphical login manager at all, but
12 rather to login at the text login prompt, and start X (and my WM/DE
13 (windo manager / desktop environment) of choice) from there. Whether
14 that's a "better way" for you or not, of course depends on you, but it
15 Works for Me (tm)!
16
17 The various DEs and at least some of the WMs should put session scripts
18 in /etc/X11/Sessions, with launchers (like startkde) in the path. You
19 can either use the launchers, or create your own.
20
21 I create my own launchers as scriptlets that make use of the generic
22 startx. Normally, startx depends on the XSESSION variable as set and
23 exported in either the system scripts (rc.conf, IIRC for baselayout-1
24 users) or in a user's startup scripts (.bashrc or the like). However,
25 that's kind of limiting since it leaves just one choice. So for each
26 session script in /etc/X11/Sessions, I create a scriptlet, say k4 for
27 kde4, k3 for kde3, g2 if I had gnome2 installed, etc. Each of these sets
28 and exports the XSESSION variable to match the appropriate filename in
29 the Sessions dir, and then invokes startx. Now, with a single short (two-
30 character in the above examples, g2, k3, k4, etc) command, I can start
31 any of the session types I want. =:^)
32
33 What's nice about this is that once the launcher scriptlets are setup,
34 it's possible to take care of any other housekeeping as necessary,
35 setting up any other environmental vars, whatever. Any commands before
36 the startx will run as X and that environment starts. Any after it will
37 run as it quits back to the text login. Or, make it startx &, so it runs
38 in the background and issue the bash disown command, and the script will
39 startx in the background and then terminate, leaving you with a bash
40 prompt again. Then you can do what I do and run ". k3", so it runs it in
41 the current shell, and it'll logout after startx as well, thus returning
42 that VT to the login prompt.
43
44 As can be seen, it wasn't for nothing that I said my system is rather
45 more uniquely customized than most. =:^) But it fits the way I work and
46 is thus the "better way" for me, which is what counts. And of course
47 Gentoo makes all that customization far easier than most distributions
48 do, making it all the better! =:^)
53 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman