From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Memory usage; 32 bit vs 64 bit.
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 20:02:53
On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 10:34 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
> Hi folks, > > I recently built me a new 64 bit system.  My old 32 bit system has 2Gbs and > my new system has 4Gbs.  I was expecting it to use about the same amount of > memory but noticed it uses a good bit more on the new system than the old > one.   With just the normal stuff open, I use about 1.5Gbs of ram.  My old > system would use a little over half that.   I have the same settings on > both. > > Is this difference because 64 bit programs use more memory, maybe they are > larger than 32 bit programs?  Just curious.  I notice that Seamonkey uses > more and KDE's plasma-desktop uses more.  Those are generally the biggest > users. > > I'm not complaining about the usage, just curious as to why the difference. > > Dale > > :-)  :-) > >
Hi Dale, That seems way high to me but I cannot do a real comparison here as I haven't had a 32-bit X86 machine in 4-5 years. My current box is tied up running 3 copies of Windows at the moment and is using pretty much 12GB at the moment so I'd have to reboot to take any reading. However I seem to remember only 350MB being used right at the point of logging into KDE, but I could be wrong about that. Maybe post a few numbers: 1) What is used when you first start KDE 2) The additions for a few common apps. I'd be happy to compare mine to yours later today. - Mark

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-amd64] Memory usage; 32 bit vs 64 bit. Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>