From: Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: GCC-4.5.2 Has Serious Problems
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 02:23:52
Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> skribis:
> A few days ago I posted about a possible problem with a floating > point test called the UCBTEST. After examining the source code > of this test, I see violations of aliasing rules throughout. > It's hard to efficiently manipulate variables without them.
C is essentially a glorified assembly language for PDP-11, designed for bit-twiddling, which the original K&R book encouraged, and which this code is doing. So all is well, from my point of view. :) Fancy optimizations are not to be trusted on assembly code; never be afraid to turn them off. You probably don’t need them, anyway. :)

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: GCC-4.5.2 Has Serious Problems Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>