From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted.
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 19:05:09
1 Harry Holt wrote:
2 >
3 > On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com
4 > <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
5 >
6 > Frank Peters wrote:
7 >
8 > On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 10:04:52 +0000 (UTC)
9 > Duncan<1i5t5.duncan@×××.net <mailto:1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>> wrote:
13 > Stan Sander wrote:
16 > In addition to using grub-static, you will need to
17 > have the IA32
18 > Emulation enabled in your kernel, else you won't
19 > be able to execute
20 > grub at all. It's under file formats / Emulations
21 > in the menu.
22 >
23 > I think that's covered in the handbook, now, but posting's
24 > still good,
25 > just in case it would have been overlooked. FWIW when I
26 > first switched to
27 > no-multilib, before I did the 32-bit chroot thing, I tried
28 > turning off
29 > that option in the kernel... and found I couldn't run... I
30 > think it was
31 > lilo I was running at the time, properly, so it's
32 > definitely worth
33 > remembering.
36 > Lilo doesn't need the kernel at all. I have IA32 turned off
37 > and I use
38 > lilo to boot. There is no problem.
39 >
40 > Unless there is some special requirement, most people probably
41 > use grub
42 > because of the "follow the leader" syndrome. Lilo is still
43 > quite effective
44 > and also quite simple. Fortunately, the Gentoo overlords have
45 > not removed
46 > lilo from the portage tree, but if they ever do, I will just
47 > compile it
48 > myself. Continuous change is not a law of the universe. Some
49 > methods
50 > never become obsolete (out of fashion perhaps, but fashion
51 > should never
52 > be the final guide).
53 >
54 > Frank Peters
58 > No offense intended but I have used both lilo and grub. I used
59 > lilo first and for me, it was a nightmare. Fixing even a small
60 > typo was painful for me. I switched to grub and the difference
61 > was like flying the space shuttle or riding a tri-cycle. Let's
62 > remove the computers from the space shuttle just to make it as
63 > difficult.
64 >
65 > I may have to use lilo one day but grub will be long dead and will
66 > not compile on any rig I have.
67 >
68 > Dale
71 > Good analogy. My issue with grub is that when it fails, I'm stuck in
72 > a tin can in low earth orbit and likely to burn up in the atmosphere.
73 >
74 > Recovering from a fall off my tri-cycle is not nearly as painful.
77 > :-) :-)
81 When lilo failed for me one time, I had to reinstall. I couldn't get
82 anything to work. With grub, I just edit the boot line. If grub
83 doesn't load, boot a CD, mount the partitions and chroot in to fix it.
84 I have never had to do that with grub tho. I have no clue how to fix
85 lilo tho.
86
87 Some of this is because grub has "just worked" for me and lilo was a
88 pain for me. Maybe it has changed, I don't know. I just remember how
89 it was back then.
90
91 Dale
92