From: "Anders Thøgersen" <anderslt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Segfault in emerge
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 21:43:41
1 Hi,
2
3 On 04:52 Fri 12 May 2006, Duncan wrote:
4 > Anders =?iso-8859-1?Q?Th=F8gersen?= <anderslt@×××××.com> posted
5 > 20060511230451.GC8675@××××××.mydomain, excerpted below, on Fri, 12 May
6 > 2006 01:04:51 +0200:
7 >
8 > > I have been consistently getting a segfault when doing emerge sync.
9 > > This has happened 3 times all while at 51%:
10 > >
11 > > [...]
12 > >
13 > > Total bytes read: 3377649
14 > >
15 > > wrote 381 bytes read 3377649 bytes 14783.50 bytes/sec
16 > > total size is 133702955 speedup is 39.58
17 > >
18 > > >>> Updating Portage cache: 51%Segmentation fault
19 > >
20 > That's almost certainly a portage cache corruption issue, not a hardware
21 > problem, since it always happens at the same place when updating the cache.
22 >
23 > Try emerge --metadata. (I think that command works with old/stable
24 > portage, I'm running the ~amd64 portage-2.1-preX versions here, and have
25 > been since they went ~amd64.) That should just update the cache without
26 > doing the sync part first.
27 >
28 > If it's really the cache, that too will probably fail. If it doesn't
29 > fail, try another emerge --sync, as it should then be fixed. If it did
30 > fail as it likely will, you'll need to delete the cache and then run
31 > emerge --metadata again, to rebuild it.
32
33 Sorry for the late reply,...
34
35 I backed up /var/cache/edb as you suggested and began emerge --metadata,
36 ... First segfault occurred at 31%. Feeling bold i restarted the
37 command and this time it went all the way to the magic 51% where it
38 segfaulted as before. From here every emerge --metadata results in a
39 segfault at 51% :-/
40
41 If I understand you correctly the problem of this segfault is due to a
42 specific file in the poretage tree. To correct this problem must I then
43 locate this file?
44
45 I am a little puzzled...
46