From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Orphaned files: /usr/sbin/rdev, vidmode, etc, what package?
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 13:43:00
Harm Geerts posted <200511122034.40523.harmgeerts@××××.nl>, excerpted
below,  on Sat, 12 Nov 2005 20:34:40 +0100:

Bug report? Not @ viewcvs. Besides, the man page calls it "Ancient Cruft" too, but it's still USEFUL cruft! Just the other day, I used it to see what I'm actually compiling into the kernel these days for video mode. I run a patch (applied automatically by a script I have that verifies the gpg sigs, moves the tarball and sig file from my download dir to my kernel tarball dir, unpacks it, changes the /usr/src/linux symlink, applies a couple useful patches, mounts /boot so my current config is available, runs make oldconfig, and unmounts /boot, all with one command, a second script builds and installs the kernel) to change the kernel default, so I don't have to append it to the kernel command line, and I /could/ have looked up the patch, but it was easier to run vidmode on my current kernel to see what it was. Oh, well, it's not a serious issue, just something useful to have around on occasion. -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list