From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How to play flac files?
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 13:52:10
1 Paul Stear <gentoo@××××××××××××.com> posted
2 200610051038.23730.gentoo@××××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on Thu, 05
3 Oct 2006 10:38:23 +0100:
4
5 > On Wednesday 04 October 2006 17:25, Vladimir G. Ivanovic wrote:
6 >> On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 11:49 +0300, Daniel Iliev wrote:
7 >> > It is not polite when someone asks a new question on a thread with
8 >> > different subject. It is called hijacking and happens when "reply" is
9 >> > used instead of "new message".
10 >>
11 >> Agreed, but my mail reader (Evolution) shows his subject to be "How to
12 >> play flac files?" which is a new subject. My mail reader shows Patric's
13 >> original email to be a sub-thread of a previous email with a different
14 >> subject, but I would say that this is a bug in Evolution, not that
15 >> hijacking has occurred.
16 >>
17 > This must be a bug in evolution because I am the user who it appears had
18 > his subject changed. My mail was a new mail (not reply to) with a totally
19 > different subject..
20
21 Your "musicbrainz" post was fine, as the start of a new thread (no
22 references header, posted using kmail). It was Patric Douhane's "flac"
23 post (using MSOE) that was the "hijack" of your thread, new, totally
24 unrelated topic (flac) and subject header, but posted as a /reply/ to your
25 (musicbrainz) thread instead of a new post, thus with a references header
26 likewise indicating that it should be threaded under your post.
27
28 According to the above, Evolution is displaying it exactly as it should
29 (thus it's /not/ a bug), threading the flac subject under the musicbrainz
30 thread because it cites the musicbrainz posts as up-thread references.
31 For all Evolution knows, it was thread drift, and someone simply decided
32 to retitle the subthread to indicate the drift, not a new thread, because
33 that's what the references headers indicate, regardless of what the
34 subject header says.
35
36 The clients that are bugged are for example, ones that thread together two
37 entirely unrelated posts, received years apart from two different people
38 and without any references headers whatsoever, simply because the subject
39 line of both is a single word, "test". I've seen it happen. Why would
40 two entirely unrelated posts, no references saying they are related,
41 posted literally years apart, entirely different authors, even sent to
42 different receiver addresses on different ISPs (I switched ISPs in the
43 mean time), end up threaded together simply because the subject is
44 similar? It makes no sense! At least threading together posts where one
45 is a direct reply to the other according to the references header, makes
46 sense, even if the human sending the "reply" /should/ have used new-post
47 instead of reply.
52 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
55 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list