From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: [OT] error message
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 06:15:17
1 Andrey Schwedovitch posted <43A3A4E9.7040807@×××××××.mps>, excerpted
2 below, on Sat, 17 Dec 2005 08:40:57 +0300:
3
4 > Hi !
5 >
6 > My system NOT AMD64-based, but it's Gentoo Linux... and i think people
7 > there can help me...
8 >
9 > From time to time i see in my logs strings like this :
10 >
11 > " NVRM: Xid: 13, 0000 02005600 00001796 00000c2c 00010001 00000080 "
12 >
13 > i think it is error message from either xorg or NVidia module..
14
15 > P.S. sorry for my bad english..
16
17 Your English isn't bad at all. There are a couple missing modifiers, but
18 to tell you the truth, my brain filled them in and I didn't notice them at
19 all until I read that last sentence and went looking! =8^)
20
21 If it's xorg/nvidia, it may well show up in your xorg log:
22 /var/log/Xorg.0.log, most likely. (Note the capital X.)
23
24 If it shows up there, it should show up with a code beside it, WW, EE, II,
25 or something, with a legend at the top telling you what each code means
26 (II=info, EE=error, not always fatal, WW=warning, there are others). This
27 log is moved to Xorg.0.log.old and a new one started every time you start
28 X.
29
30 As for the meaning, NVRM, unless NVidia is using it to mean something
31 else, means Non-Volatile-RAM, usually flash based RAM. This could be the
32 video card BIOS, or your motherboard BIOS, or perhaps something else
33 with NVRAM. Beyond that, I don't have much clue. altho once you trace it
34 to the hardware it's coming from, you might be able to google something on
35 it.
36
37 Hmm... Just did the google here. It DOES appear to be NVidia related.
38
39 Heres the (long, due to containing that whole string) link to the search
40 page:
41
42 http://www.google.com/search?q=%22nvrm%3A+xid%3A+13+0000+02005600+00001796+00000c2c+00010001+00000080%22
43
44 It shows 9 of the 26 hits, the rest are similar to those 9, it says. Good
45 luck!
50 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
51 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
55 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list