From: Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon@××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] partly OT: nvidia 6600GT
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 20:06:19
1 Hello. I think this topic is partly OT because it's not directly
2 gentoo-related but it might be amd64 related so...
3
4 I've struggled for two weeks to have my gentoo-amd64 running various OpenGL
5 games. Dome did run, other crashed in various ways: either a stuck computer,
6 usually seeming related to a soud and/or I/O conflict, or sometimes simply a
7 total reset. And it was the same thing with Gentoo (32/64), SuSE (32/64) and
8 Debian/Mepis (32 bit)
9
10 The setup was a Tyan k8w-s2875ANRF board and an AGP Gainward with an nvidia
11 6600GT chip.
12
13 In the end, I removed the card and pulled an Asus nvidia 5700 based graphic
14 card out of another computer and see: everything's running fine - and I'd
15 even say movement is smoother, despite the fact that the 6600GT is given as
16 much faster.
17
18 Now, I put the 6600GT in the other computer (a P4) and tested that computer
19 (not with gentoo, actually with SuSE): no problem.
20
21 So, I am wondering what causes the conflict: the board, the opterons,
22 Gainward's card?
23 Has anyone a 6600GT running fine ona double opteron?
24
25 Thierry
28 The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a
29 capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
30 safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
31 Frank Zappa
32 --
33 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list