From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: attempt to emerge dev-texlive/texlive-latexextra-2008-r1 failed
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 10:12:01
1 "John P. Burkett" <burkett@×××.edu> posted 4A06F178.7060007@×××.edu,
2 excerpted below, on Sun, 10 May 2009 11:23:36 -0400:
3
4 > Duncan wrote:
5 >> "John P. Burkett" <burkett@×××.edu> posted 49FDCD09.7070204@×××.edu,
6 >> excerpted below, on Sun, 03 May 2009 12:57:45 -0400:
7 >>
8 >>> Thanks, Duncan. [...] The results are the same; the latest version
9 >>> available version of sys-apps/portage is still listed as 2.1.6.11,
10 >>> which is the version I have installed.
11 >>>
12 >>> I attempted to manually download the source file, and place it in
13 >>> distfiles, and then run emerge. [Still had the problem.]
14 >>
15 >> That's clearly a portage bug (even if we didn't already know it based
16 >> on the bug you mentioned and the new versions that are /supposed/ to be
17 >> out), as that argument list isn't even that long at all.
18 >>
19 >> So one way or another, we gotta get around that bug.
20 >>
21 >> You've verified that you can decompress that source archive manually,
22 >> right?
23
24 > Yes, it appears that I can decompress lzma files.
25
26 >> Meanwhile, on portage upgrade side...
27
28 >> 2.1.6.12 is indeed in-tree, but no arch has keyworded it stable yet.
29 >> I don't see any masking and checking the ebuild itself, I see it's
30 >> keyworded ~arch.
31
32 >> I don't know why it hasn't been stable-keyworded, except that
33 >> archs probably haven't gotten to it yet, but you might wish to consider
34 >> adding:
35 >>
36 >> ~sys-apps/portage-2.1.6.12
37 >>
38 >> ... to your package.keywords file or directory.
39
40 > After adding ~sys-apps/portage-2.1.6.12 to my package.keywords file, I
41 > did "emerge portage". That process appears to have been successful. Now
42 > when I do "emerge --search portage" the response is
43 > * sys-apps/portage
44 > Latest version available: 2.1.6.12
45 > Latest version installed: 2.1.6.12
46
47 OK, great. At least that's still working as it should.
48
49 > So far, so good. However, when I do "emerge texlive-latexextra", the
50 > response is as follows:
51 > Calculating dependencies... done!
52 >
53 >>>> Verifying ebuild manifests
54 >
55 >>>> Emerging (1 of 1) dev-texlive/texlive-latexextra-2008-r1
56 > [Errno 7] Argument list too long:
57
58 [etc]
59
60 >> There are other alternatives too. Did you try using the --fetchonly
61 >> option? The bug mentions that worked for some people.
62 > Doing "emerge -f texlive-latexextra" also produces "argument list too
63 > long" errors, for example:
64 >>>> Downloading
65 > 'http://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/Linux/Gentoo/distfiles/texlive-module-
66 pdfcprot-2008.tar.lzma'
67 > [Errno 7] Argument list too long:
68 > /usr/bin/wget -t 5 -T 60 --passive-ftp -O
69 > /usr/portage/distfiles/texlive-module-pdfcprot-2008.tar.lzma
70 > http://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/Linux/Gentoo/distfiles/texlive-module-
71 > pdfcprot-2008.tar.lzma
72
73 So the workaround others found doesn't work for you. Ugly!
74
75 >> There's some additional discussion on why it happens -- are you using
76 >> an old kernel (<2.6.23)? They had shorter max commandline lengths.
77 >> Thus, upgrading your kernel is presumably another alternative.
78
79 > I'm using kernel 2.6.20-gentoo-r6. Upgrading to a more recent kernel
80 > would probably be beneficial but may require skills that I lack.
81
82 Well, you'll need to learn to do it at some point. Now's probably as
83 good a time as any...
84
85 OK. We have two paths we can work on. First, whatever they did to fix
86 the bug in portage-2.1.6.12 might have fixed it for some, but it didn't
87 for you. Thus, one path is continuing to work on the portage bug. At
88 this point, it's time to reopen (or clone since we can't reopen) the bug
89 and get the portage devs looking at it again, since it's a portage bug
90 that's obviously not fixed for you, when they think it is.
91
92 I see 2.1.6.13 is out now. You will want to update to it (you'll need to
93 change your package.keywords again) to ensure the bug isn't fixed by
94 something else they did. If the bug is still there, here's what I'd do.
95
96 Go to bug 262647. As it isn't your bug, you can't reopen it. However,
97 you can clone it (link at the bottom of the main bug status area, under
98 the Additional Comments textbox, but BEFORE the comments, "Clone This
99 Bug" link to the right). Do so, choose as a product "Portage
100 Development", version 2.1, component "Core", then explain why you are
101 cloning the bug, that 2.1.6.12 (and .13) that were supposed to have the
102 fix, don't seem to work for you.
103
104 You'll also want to mention that -f and/or downloading it manually to
105 $DISTFILES, then rerunning the emerge, does NOT fix it for you. Mention
106 your kernel version 2.6.20 as that's useful information as well, add your
107 emerge --info and anything else you can think of that would be useful.
108
109 You can also link to this thread as it's seen on gmane, so they can see
110 what we've already tried without you having to retype it all. Finally,
111 add me to the CC for the bug, as I'm interested in following it.
112
113 http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.amd64/14380
114
115 Meanwhile, the second path we can try is the kernel upgrade path. You
116 weren't sure about it, but luckily, Gentoo has quite some help on the
117 subject. But first, a hint. Gentoo really does have some good
118 documentation. Actually, Gentoo's documentation is often good enough
119 folks from other distributions use it too. =:^) As such, anything big
120 you're thinking about doing on your system, it's worth checking to see
121 Gentoo has some documentation on the subject. What I usually do is go to
122 the docs list page and then use my browser's search function look for
123 docs on whatever it is I'm interested in. In this case, that's kernel
124 upgrades, so I searched on "kernel", and came up with the below list of
125 links from the documents list page.
126
127 The big list of Gentoo documents. Bookmark it! =:^)
128
129 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/list.xml
130
131 .....
132
133 Some kernel related documentation that should be of help:
134
135 Gentoo Linux Kernel Upgrade Guide
136
137 The kernel upgrade guide looks to be the one most immediately of interest
138 here.
139
140 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kernel-upgrade.xml
143 Gentoo Linux Kernel Guide
144
145 The kernel guide is mainly about choosing the right kernel sources, from
146 multiple choices available.
147
148 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-kernel.xml
151 Gentoo Linux Kernel Configuration Guide
152
153 The kernel config guide is an overview of the manual kernel configuration
154 process. It doesn't go into too much detail, but if you've never done it
155 before, it could be very helpful, none-the-less. It does cover several
156 areas people often find confusing, SATA as SCSI, IDE and DMA, USB, multi-
157 core/multi-CPU, etc. Another section links a bunch of other more topic
158 specific documents, on ALSA/sound, bluetooth, printing, power management,
159 USB, etc.
160
161 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kernel-config.xml
164 Compiling the Linux kernel
165
166 This is not a Gentoo-specific document but one written originally for IBM
167 developerWorks by Daniel Robbins, Gentoo's founder. It'll give you a lot
168 of generally useful background and DRobbins is good at explaining things,
169 but parts of it are now a bit dated. For example, it discusses LILO for
170 booting, while Gentoo (and most modern x86 and amd64 distributions) now
171 uses GRUB. Thus, you'll probably want to skip that section (section 5).
172
173 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/articles/linux-kernel-compiling.xml
176 The Gentoo Handbook also covers the kernel briefly, in the install
177 coverage. But you probably read that while installing and are still a
178 bit leery about kernel config, thus the above. I'm mentioning it here
179 mainly for completeness, but if you've not looked at it in awhile, it
180 couldn't hurt to review that information as well.
181
182 .....
183
184 Also possibly of interest:
185
186 The Gentoo Linux Genkernel Guide (outdated)
187
188 Genkernel is a tool designed to help automate the kernel compilation
189 process. It'll help you create kernels similar to those on the
190 installation CDs. But while this document is still linked from several
191 of documents above, it's outdated and no longer maintained. As such,
192 while parts of it may be helpful, other parts may be more confusing than
193 helpful, unfortunately. As they say, YMMV.
194
195 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/genkernel.xml
198 With those to help, and by copying the .config of your existing kernel
199 and using make oldconfig, you should be well on your way to a successful
200 kernel upgrade. A few of those and it'll be old hat. =:^) I'd probably
201 start with the general Compiling the Linux kernel link, to get a
202 background, then look at the upgrade guide to get a better idea of what
203 you're looking at here, then I'd use the config guide for configuration,
204 and if necessary, go back to the upgrade guide again to actually do it.
205
206 Again, a very good place to start is with the .config from your existing
207 kernel, using make oldconfig to adapt it to the newer kernel. However,
208 it's reasonably likely that you'll still have questions about individual
209 choices. That's normal. You just experiment a bit until you get a
210 kernel that does what you need. As long as you don't remove your old
211 kernels, you can always reboot to one of them if the new kernel doesn't
212 work. And in fact, that's what even the Linux kernel hackers themselves
213 do. I do a lot of kernel testing here, and my rule of thumb is to keep
214 at least two known working kernels around, one good stable release from
215 the release BEFORE the one I'm testing, and a generally working current
216 kernel. Thus, until I have a known working current pre-release kernel, I
217 keep at least two previous release series kernels around, generally the
218 release and the first stable point release after it. (So for instance for
219 the current 2.6.30 series pre-release testing, I kept 2.6.29 and 2.6.29.1
220 around, until I had a decently stable 2.6.30-rc2 plus version working to
221 my satisfaction, after which I deleted 2.6.29 but kept the latest stable
222 I had, 2.6.29.1, just in case something weird turned up with the 2.6.30-
223 rc2+ I had /thought/ was working.)
224
225 For you, you'll probably keep 2.6.20.x around for some time, since you're
226 not going to be doing the kernel testing I do, and will presumably only
227 be running stable versions.
228
229 .....
230
231 So anyway, between opening a portage bug and trying out a new kernel, one
232 way or another, you should eventually get around that bug. I'd encourage
233 you to keep working on both paths. In particular, if you do the clone
234 bug thing, even if you get a new kernel working that doesn't have the
235 issue, I'd encourage you to keep around your current 2.6.20 for testing
236 until that portage bug is resolved one way or another, because there's
237 probably others that will run into it as well.
242 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman