From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Problems With Latest Xorg-server-1.7.1
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 18:31:59
1 After updating my system with "emerge -Du world" I noticed that
2 a new xorg-server, version 1.7.1, was installed. Starting X in
3 my usual manner did not reveal any problems, but I soon discovered
4 that my keyboard repeat rate and delay had been altered. For
5 some reason, the parameters specified in my xorg.conf file were
6 being ignored. Also, the zoom keys, which allow a stepping through
7 the various video modes that are specified in xorg.conf by pressing
8 the Ctrl-Alt-+/- key combination, were not functioning. Because
9 I process a lot of images, the zoom keys are particularly important
10 to me.
11
12 The keyboard rate/delay problem was easily fixed by including
13 the command "xset r 300 30" in my openbox configuration file.
14
15 The zoom key issue, however, is a different matter. At first
16 I thought that using xrandr to change screen resolutions would
17 be an adequate substitute. Xrandr does work, but the resulting
18 screen layout is much different. No longer can I scroll outside
19 of the visible area as I could previously. Openbox gives me
20 a very large virtual desktop area but using xrandr reduces it
21 considerably if I use xrandr to change resolutions.
22
23 Before I attempt to delve further into this matter, I need to
24 inquire if any other users have lost their zoom keys with this
25 update. Zoom keys are enabled by default so everyone should
26 have access to them.
27
28 Probably a bug report need to be files with Xorg.
29
30 Frank Peters