From: Alex Alexander <wired@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted.
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 13:05:15
1 On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 18:55, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I'm thinking, AT THE MOMENT, of going multilib and grub-static.  That way
3 > down the road, I can switch to no-multilib and not have to reinstall grub.
4 >  To simple huh?
5 >
6 > Dale
7 >
8 > :-)  :-)
12 There's absolutely no reason for you not to use multilib.
13
14 Why waste the opportunity to run 32bit applications? You'll never
15 regret running multilib, infact you'll soon forget it. If, on the
16 other hand, you choose to run no-multilib, one day you'll have to run
17 a 32bit app (that day will come, simple Murphy laws) and you'll have
18 to set up a 32bit chroot for it :)
19
20 Grub is *not* an issue, I've never used grub-static on any amd64
21 system, sys-boot/grub works great. Lilo works, yes, but it really is
22 old tech. Grub's interactive boot menu is invaluable and can save you
23 when something goes wrong.
24
25 Don't forget that the current multilib implementation doesn't compile
26 things twice. It just provides the environment and 32bit libraries
27 required for 32bit applications to build and run. Anything that
28 supports 64bit builds and runs as 64bit, period :)
31 Alex Alexander | wired
32 + Gentoo Linux Developer
33 ++ www.linuxized.com