From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64]
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 18:04:29
1 2007/7/6, Dustin J. Mitchell <dustin@×××××××.us>:
2 >
3 > On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 09:02:05AM -0400, B. Nice wrote:
4 > > > I also feel a little guilty that my only contribution as an AT is to
5 > > > make fun of people trying to unsubscribe from the list. It's not
6 > > > exactly productive, and only serves to reinforce the bad rep that
7 > Gentoo
8 > > > has.
9 > > Where do people get the idea that Gentoo has a bad reputation? I've
10 >
11 > Well, keep in mind that I run in what is probably a slightly different
12 > circle -- server admins.
13 >
14 > Gentoo has a *lot* to recommend it technically for administering a
15 > server -- fine-grained control, careful management of the upgrade path,
16 > transparency, extensibility, etc.
17 >
18 > But the cultural shift is painful when folks like me try to interact
19 > with the Gentoo user or developer community. I think I'm a fairly
20 > technically adept person (hey, I passed the ebuild quiz), yet several of
21 > my bugs have been blown off fairly rudely, by developers who had
22 > obviously not read the entire bug. Of course, interactions on IRC are
23 > even worse.
26 this is the thing that i hate.... if you get a bug you should test if it
27 will come when you have the entire system from the stable branch and see if
28 it happens also there....
29
30 The result is that I don't file bugs anymore -- I make a fixed local
31 > copy of the ebuild and call it a day. Since I can't recommend that my
32 > clients and employers do the same, I set them up with a RedHat-derived
33 > base system and then hand-compile the necessary software on top of that.
34 >
35 > By way of comparison, problems I have had with specific pieces of
36 > business-critical software (vs. with the distro) have been handled with
37 > professionalism and dignity.
38 >
39 > Maybe the problem is that Gentoo devs are *too* accessible, and aren't
40 > really given a choice in the matter. Does e.g.,
41 > https://bugzilla.novell.com/ see the same level of activity as Gentoo's?
42 > I imagine that a lot of the grumpy devs would probably do well just
43 > sitting in the background and coding.
46 the novell bugzilla has not very much activity because the commercial
47 version has paid support and because novell commercial systems are pretty
48 good in terms of bugs.... ok, they are a little backward with the software
49 versioning, but their commercial versions are really great pieces of
50 stability.... for what i have experienced by using for quite some time suse
51 and opensuse lately, that distribution is the best fast install and use
52 linux distro existing.... and then there is gentoo that is very good for
53 tuning your pc.... all the others that i've tryied (from fedora, to
54 archlinux, to ubuntu, kubuntu, debian and others) suck!!!! if you want a
55 quick install linux distro with great support and lot of features get
56 opensuse, and if you want a great personal machine optimized linux distro
57 get gentoo or sabayon (the last one i'll have to try it out)....
58
59 Those are my musings..
60 >
61 > Dustin
62 >
63 > P.S. I should add that the amd64 group does not seem to share these
64 > difficutlies -- this list is sometimes irreverent, but never insulting.
65 > --
66 > gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list
72 beso
73