From: Wil Reichert <wil.reichert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: GCC 4.5.1 with FLTO and Graphite
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 04:03:44
1 On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 7:48 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Frank Peters posted on Mon, 20 Sep 2010 21:49:33 -0400 as excerpted:
3 >
4 >> After doing my periodical emerge update, I notice that gcc-4.5.1 is now
5 >> unmasked and presumably stable.  I also notice that a couple of new
6 >> options are possible with this new release, namely Graphite and FLTO
7 >> optimizations.  (Actually, Graphite has been available for a while but I
8 >> haven't been following gcc development too closely and only now do I
9 >> become aware of it.)
10 >>
11 >> Does anyone have any comments on the use of Graphite and/or FLTO? Are
12 >> they capable of significant improvements on a amd64 system?
13 >>
14 >> Supposedly FLTO will greatly increase file size and thus could be
15 >> selectively enabled for only a few packages.  Would building gcc itself
16 >> with FLTO be advisable?
17 >>
18 >> There are reports that many packages fail to build with FLTO:
19 >> http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2010/04/25/tinderbox-getting-friendly-with-
20 > gcc-4-5
21 >>
22 >> Since I have encountered little detailed discussion on this topic, I am
23 >> posting my question to this list.
24 >
25 > Two excerpts from $equery u gcc
26 >
27 >  - - graphite    : Add support for the framework for loop optimizations
28 > based on a polyhedral intermediate representation
29 >
30 >  - - lto         : Add support for link-time optimizations (unsupported,
31 > use at your own risk).
32 >
33 > So at minimum, you'll need to enable the appropriate USE flags for those
34 > features.  (As you can see, I haven't.)  And, link-time-optimization isn't
35 > Gentoo supported at all -- probably partly as a result of flameeyes'
36 > testing.
37 >
38 > Personally, I've been waiting for some general level documentation to come
39 > across my radar before I get involved with either of these.  I've been
40 > running 4.5 for some time now, without issue (except that the new version
41 > makes use of more instructions for certain later Intel chips, and I had a
42 > problem as a result in my 32-bit chroot, trying to build for my atom based
43 > netbook, until I dialed back the allowed hardware instructions to what was
44 > available on my older amd opteron based build machine, gcc 4.4 apparently
45 > didn't use the instructions at all, even if they were marked as
46 > available), but that's partly because I've been a bit conservative in
47 > enabling the newly available features such as graphite and link-time-
48 > optimization.
49
50 I gave 4.5.0 a go a few months back & had issues with mysql (5.1 &
51 5.5) no longer compiling. This might be resolved by now tho.
52
53 Wil