From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Wine menus
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 19:09:26
1 On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > On 10/29/2009 05:25 PM, Clemente Aguiar wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Ever since the upgrade of Gnome to 2.2.6 I have had a problem with the
5 >> Wine menus.
6 >>
7 >> Actually the Wine menus are gone and the individual icons for the
8 >> windoze apps, such as Winamp, are now scatter under the menu "Others".
9 >>
10 >> One interesting bit, is that if I delete the
11 >> $HOME/.config/menus/gnome-applications.menu file, I get the correct Wine
12 >> menu structure, but the moment I open the Menu Editor (alacarte), it
13 >> creates a new $HOME/.config/menus/gnome-applications.menu and the Wine
14 >> menu structure disappears and the icons all end up in the "Others"
15 >> category.
16 >>
17 >> Does anybody else have this problem? Can anybody help me?
18 >
19 > That is quite peculiar since the same happens with KDE4 (where it was
20 > working OK in KDE3).
21
22 I haven't tried it, but this looks like it may contain a solution/workaround:
23
24 http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wine#KDE_4_Menu_Fix.5B1.5D
25
26 (quoting that page from here on)
27
28 KDE 4 Menu Fix[1]
29
30 The Wine menu items may appear in "Lost & Found" instead of the Wine
31 menu for KDE 4. This is because kde-applications.menu is missing the
32 MergeDir option.
33
34 Edit /etc/xdg/menus/kde-applications.menu
35
36 At the end of the file add <MergeDir>applications-merged</MergeDir>
37 after <DefaultMergeDirs/>, it should look like this:
38
39 <Include>
40 <And>
41 <Category>KDE</Category>
42 <Category>Core</Category>
43 </And>
44 </Include>
45 <DefaultMergeDirs/>
46 <MergeDir>applications-merged</MergeDir>
47 <MergeFile>applications-kmenuedit.menu</MergeFile>
48 </Menu>
49
50 Alternatively you can create a symlink to a folder that KDE does see:
51
52 ln -s ~/.config/menus/applications-merged
53 ~/.config/menus/kde-applications-merged
54
55 This has the added bonus that an update to KDE won't change it, but is
56 per user instead of system wide.