From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Terminal control codes
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 17:28:37
1 On Wednesday 03 January 2007 04:06, Duncan wrote:
2
3 > You may be looking for the video= parameters, in particular
4 > video=scrollback. See section 5.2 of the bootprompt HOWTO, here:
5 > http://tldp.org/HOWTO/text/BootPrompt-HOWTO.
6
7 Ah. Thanks for the pointer.
8
9 > Second and this is what was actually preventing me scrolling back further
10 > for awhile, if you reset the console font (Gentoo's consolefont service),
11 > it resets the scroll buffer. Since the consolefont service starts
12 > relatively late in the process, using it means you lose most of the
13 > boot-time scrollback, altho you can still get most of the info from
14 > syslog and/or dmesg -- but not that last bit of grub output! =8^(
15
16 I was using locales to give me ISO-8859-1 and -15 character sets, but glibc
17 is buggy in this area and I've had to keep recreating the locales with
18 localedef. Now it occurs to me to use UTF-8, so I shouldn't need the 8859
19 codes. Thus it becomes feasible to try removing the console-font service -
20 thanks again.
21
22 > In addition to setting vga=0x0133 for a normal 132x44 character console
23 > (720x400 px), I /had/ been setting the consolefont to gr737c-8x6, giving
24 > me an even higher resolution while still very readable, but I've disabled
25 > that now, sticking with 132x44, so I can scrollback the entire boot when
26 > necessary.
27
28 I use vga=0x31A on this 19", 1600x1200 flat panel. If I run nvidia-drivers
29 this gives me a screen of 160x 64, or if I use the nv kernel module I get
30 200x75. I find both of those legible, though the latter is getting a bit
31 small - and of course all that screen redrawing takes time in a long
32 emerge.
35 Rgds
36 Peter
37 --