From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo AMD64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Please get me straight about sysvinit vs. systemd, udev vs eudev vs mdev, virtuals and other things...
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 16:57:37
1 Hi all,
2 I'd like to check in and get some education concerning future
3 configuration of my Gentoo machines. Thanks in advance.
4
5 In the last few days there is a news announcement about needing to
6 change kernel my configuration to enable CONFIG_FHANDLE to support
7 udev-210. I'm currently at udev-208 and virtual/udev-208-r1 so no big
8 deal yet. However reading the news announcement it appears this has
9 more to do with systemd than anything else and I don't use systemd so
10 does/will this effect my machines?
11
12 NOTE: I have no problem I know about today enabling CONFIG_FHANDLE
13 if it's recommended.
14
15 That said there's an interesting (if it is to be believed) little
16 rant thread over the last couple of days on LKML about Debian
17 leadership forcing people into systemd. I think the Gentoo devs forked
18 udev to make either mdev or eudev but when it was announced it was too
19 new for me so I just let it go by. Maybe now it's time for me to look
20 into making a change of some type? I see eudev in portage, but not
21 mdev.
22
23 A (really, really, really) quick scan of the current install docs
24 makes me think sysvinit/OpenRC/udev is still the default for new
25 installs. Is this true? If so why is this kernel change being
26 required?
27
28 Also, I seem to have virtual/udev installed which says it's about
29 enabling switching between udev & eudev. However there are no files
30 associated with virtual/udev. (equery files virtual/udev returns
31 nothing) It appears I cannot install eudev without removing udev so
32 this seems a big step to take:
33
34 c2RAID6 ~ # emerge -pvDuN eudev
35
36 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
37
38 Calculating dependencies... done!
39 [ebuild N ] sys-fs/eudev-1.3 USE="gudev introspection modutils
40 openrc rule-generator -doc -hwdb -keymap -kmod (-selinux) -static-libs
41 {-test}" ABI_X86="(64) (-32) (-x32)" 1,641 kB
42 [uninstall ] sys-fs/udev-208 USE="acl firmware-loader gudev
43 introspection kmod openrc -doc (-selinux) -static-libs" ABI_X86="(64)
44 (-32) (-x32)"
45 [blocks b ] sys-fs/udev ("sys-fs/udev" is blocking sys-fs/eudev-1.3)
46
47 Total: 1 package (1 new, 1 uninstall), Size of downloads: 1,641 kB
48 Conflict: 1 block
49 c2RAID6 ~ #
50
51 At this point I'm not even sure what my other questions might be as
52 I'm just trying to get my head around what others are using these
53 days. I do have a second Gentoo install on this system on an SSD so
54 (once updated) I could do a switch there as a test.
55
56 Thanks,
57 Mark