From: Bob Sanders <rsanders@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Hardware: USB controller card recommendations?
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 15:36:13
1 Michael Kjorling, mused, then expounded:
2 >
3 > If that is the case, I must be doing something wrong. From somewhere,
4 > I was under the impression that the Nvidia CK8S was just a re-branded
5 > Via.
6
7 First I've heard of that. It could very well be Nvidia licensed the
8 VIA IP/logic.
9
10 > The motherboard in my system is a Nvidia NF3 250Gb CN-8N2ALSR4,
11 > CPU is Athlon64 3000+. Partial lspci output:
14 I'm running a Shuttle SN95G5 box with the nForce3 chipset.
15
16 > vuk ~ # lspci | grep -i usb
17 > 00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK8S USB Controller (rev a1)
18 > 00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK8S USB Controller (rev a1)
19 > 00:02.2 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce3 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev a2)
20 > vuk ~ #
21 >
22 > In the kernel configuration under Device Drivers -> USB Support, I
23 > have EHCI (CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD) and OHCI (CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD)
24 > enabled, and UHCI (CONFIG_USB_UHCI_HCD) disabled. Don't tell me all I
25 > need to do is use different kernel configuration settings? (I run
26 > kernel 2.6.13-gentoo-r5.)
29 Did you also select - Enforce USB bandwidth allocation and Dynamic USB minor
30 allocation? Also, Full speed ISO transactions and Root Hub Transaction
31 Translators? The first two were necessary to support my PDA in network
32 mode. The last two I added as they seemed to be good ideas.
35 > If it helps, the problem is that USB "mostly" works, but after
36 > transferring a certain amount (which I have not been able to determine
37 > in more detail) of data to or from a device, communication with that
38 > device simply ceases until I at least cycle its connection to the
39 > computer. (Power cycle the device, or unplug and plug back in the USB
40 > cable.) At that point the device is reset, and nice recovery (as in
41 > resume from wherever it was) is impossible.
44 Could be the device itself? I've done a full xfs_dump/xfs_restore via
45 USB on mine to clone my data drive. No problems.
46
47 The only time I see USB disconnect/reconnet happening is with the KB/mouse,
48 both slow speed devices. I have seen the problem you described on other
49 systems with USB devices that have flakey hubs inside them.
50
51 Bob
52 --
53 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list