From: Bob Sanders <rsanders@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Hardware: USB controller card recommendations?
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 15:36:13
Michael Kjorling, mused, then expounded:
> > If that is the case, I must be doing something wrong. From somewhere, > I was under the impression that the Nvidia CK8S was just a re-branded > Via.
First I've heard of that. It could very well be Nvidia licensed the VIA IP/logic.
> The motherboard in my system is a Nvidia NF3 250Gb CN-8N2ALSR4, > CPU is Athlon64 3000+. Partial lspci output: >
I'm running a Shuttle SN95G5 box with the nForce3 chipset.
> vuk ~ # lspci | grep -i usb > 00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK8S USB Controller (rev a1) > 00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK8S USB Controller (rev a1) > 00:02.2 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce3 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev a2) > vuk ~ # > > In the kernel configuration under Device Drivers -> USB Support, I > have EHCI (CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD) and OHCI (CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD) > enabled, and UHCI (CONFIG_USB_UHCI_HCD) disabled. Don't tell me all I > need to do is use different kernel configuration settings? (I run > kernel 2.6.13-gentoo-r5.) >
Did you also select - Enforce USB bandwidth allocation and Dynamic USB minor allocation? Also, Full speed ISO transactions and Root Hub Transaction Translators? The first two were necessary to support my PDA in network mode. The last two I added as they seemed to be good ideas.
> If it helps, the problem is that USB "mostly" works, but after > transferring a certain amount (which I have not been able to determine > in more detail) of data to or from a device, communication with that > device simply ceases until I at least cycle its connection to the > computer. (Power cycle the device, or unplug and plug back in the USB > cable.) At that point the device is reset, and nice recovery (as in > resume from wherever it was) is impossible. >
Could be the device itself? I've done a full xfs_dump/xfs_restore via USB on mine to clone my data drive. No problems. The only time I see USB disconnect/reconnet happening is with the KB/mouse, both slow speed devices. I have seen the problem you described on other systems with USB devices that have flakey hubs inside them. Bob -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-amd64] Hardware: USB controller card recommendations? David Guerizec <david@××××××××.net>