From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: High CPU Usage From Kernel Process - kacpid
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 09:31:02
1 Samir Mishra <sqmishra@×××.ae> posted 448D9A04.8030604@×××.ae, excerpted
2 below, on Mon, 12 Jun 2006 20:44:52 +0400:
3
4 > I have a dual Opteron WS. After being up for some time (running
5 > gentoo-sources-2.6.15-r7, Xorg 7 & KDE 3.5) my system begins showing
6 > 100% CPU usage on one of the processors with the offending process,
7 > kacpid, using most of this. I know the first thing I need to do is
8 > recompile a new version of the kernel and see if the problem persists,
9 > but for now, is there some way for me t track down what's causing this?
10 >
11 > kacpid cannot be killed and the only workaround I've been able to use to
12 > stop my whole system from being "jerky" is to renice kacpid to a much
13 > lower priority of 19 from its original -5.
14
15 That's kernel-ACPI-daemon. Take a look at the documentation in
16 /usr/src/linux/Documentation/x86_64, particularly the ACPI section of
17 boot-options.txt.
18
19 If you haven't checked for BIOS updates recently, I'd suggest you do so.
20 Often, those sorts of things are taken care of with a BIOS update.
27 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
30 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list